Are you on the ketogenic diet and missing that Chinese takeout? Then this low-carb General Tso chicken recipe is just for you. General Tso chicken is a classic Chinese dish. The taste of this low-carb general tso chicken is just like the real thing without any kind of guilt. To make this general tso chicken recipe, you need some Hoison sauce. Therefore, you have to make your own Hoison sauce.
Hoison sauce also has a great taste. It would be best if you replace the whey powder with any other protein powder or oat fiber. This keto general tso chicken recipe is great for chicken lovers on the keto diet. A homemade version of this recipe is way better than the restaurant for a perfect weeknight dinner.
Prepare this dish with tender chicken and a spicy-sweet sauce and serve with broccoli and cauliflower rice. Also, it’s a paleo general tso chicken recipe. Takeout fixes this keto-friendly general tso chicken the sweet paleo-friendly recipe.
You can eat this low-carb keto general tso chicken on keto because it’s 100% keto-friendly. It contains only 4 to 5 grams of net carbs. But the real version of this paleo general tso recipe contains a lot of net carbs. Usually, people use ketchup and Hoison sauce, and other ingredients that contain more sugar and carbs. Just follow some steps and make this Chinese food recipe keto-friendly.
You can use Hoison sauce but make sure that you are using a low-carb version. Use Stevia sweetened classic tomato ketchup or use Thai chili sauce. You can also serve this chicken recipe with a side of cauliflower rice. To make a healthy version of a general tso chicken just make sure that you are using low carb and healthy ingredients.
How To Freeze This Low Carb Tso Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze the chicken in an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator for one week and up to 3 months. And, when you want to eat it, just reheat the chicken in the microwave or in a pan for only a few minutes and enjoy. You can serve this recipe with cauliflower rice, steamed or roasted broccoli, and zucchini. You can also use any of your favorite low-carb vegetables.
Tips & Tricks
When you made this delicious recipe or have less amount of sauce in it than you needed for the chicken. Then use the soy sauce in a small amount and always substitute it with the coconut aminos. Or you can also use a better alternative to soy sauce for the keto and can be used more generously.
If you have issues with the psyllium, then you can use pork rinds alternatively to coat your chicken. Also, many people use both almond flour and coconut flour or also some bread-like things. But the recipe is unappealing in both texture and taste.
Here is the easy recipe to learn how to make low carb version of a general tso chicken. It’s a healthy version of general tso. You can also make a spicy savory mixture of general tso. Now jump to the recipe to make your own yummy and complete meal.
|Chicken Breasts||6-7 small|
|Crushed Pork Rinds||¾ cup|
|Almond Flour||1/3 cup|
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
|Coconut Oil||1 tbsp|
|Chicken Broth||¼ cup|
|Rice Vinegar||3 tbsp|
|Soy Sauce||2 ½ tbsp|
|Reduced Sugar Ketchup||2 tbsp|
|Sesame Oil||2 tsp|
|Hoisin Sauce||1 tsp|
|Red Chili Paste||1 tsp|
|Red Chili Flakes||1 tsp|
|Garlic Powder||1 tsp|
|Minced Ginger||½ tsp|
|Xanthan Gum||¼ tsp|
- First of all, preheat your oven to 350F.
- Put the half pork rinds from the bag into the food processor.
- Grind them until you get the fine and grounded powder form.
- Put the pork rind powder from the food processor into the bowl.
- Then add almond flour and mix them very well.
- Take a separate bowl and put two scrambled eggs for dipping the chicken in.
- Clean the chicken breast pieces and remove all the fatty and gritty parts of the chicken.
- Cut the cubs of chicken breast and try to uniform them as possible.
- Now your station is just ready to start.
- Dip the cubes of chicken into the eggs, then dip in the powder of almond flour and pork rinds.
- Put all the pieces aside after dipping to get them ready for frying.
- Take another pan and heat the olive oil and coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, then add your chicken cubs to it.
- Keep frying them and flipping them if you want to create a crust.
- Keep in mind, just don’t cook them all in the oil because you also have to cook them in the oven later.
- Once you finished frying the cubes, transfer them into a baking tray.
- Overcrowding the pan may allow too much of the oil to be soaked up and create a soggy texture.
- So, you can add more to the pan.
- Let’s get started to prepare the sauce. Put all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix them well until you all the ingredients combined. The mixture should have a dark red color to it.
- Cover the fried chicken cubes with the sauce.
- Mix the sauce and chicken thoroughly, but be careful.
- After that, put the chicken into your oven for 60 minutes.
- Flip the chicken cubes after every 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, it’s almost done, then flip the cubes again and let them cook for 15 minutes.
- When 60 minutes end, the sauce becomes thick and rich.
- Serve it without mixing it to give it a nice sauce crust on the chicken.
Nutrition Facts of Tso Chicken
Keto General Tso Chicken’s three servings came out with: 566 Calories, 37.3g fats, 4.5g Net Carbs, and 59.3 grams of protein.
We can’t give any guarantee on the accuracy of the nutritional information given for the recipe.