Keto-Friendly Apple Pie Recipe
This keto apple pie is the best thing to eat. If you have cravings for sweets, then it is perfect for you. Its a combination of secret ingredients like almond flour crust, and a sugar-free and low-carb apple pie is really awesome.
You might be thinking that the apple pie is not possible, but it’s not true. You will start your day with some sweet treat. So, there is the secret of this keto apple pie filling that is made with yellow squash. You can have your veggies, and sugar-free apple pie is a delicious bite for breakfast.
It’s delicious to have a low-carb and sugar-free but still pie. Must try the recipe and make your own keto apple pie with apples or without apples. Let’s get started:
What Other Ingredients?
Here are other ingredients using in this recipe, such as:
Granulated Golden Monk Fruit:
Generally, monk fruit is a great sugar substitute for regular granulated sugar. And, it measures the same as the regular white sugar. The golden color of monk fruits makes your pie filling more golden than if you use white monk fruit, so that’s why we went with it.
When you are baking your desserts, then better is a major ingredient of the recipe. It plays the role of fat in your apple pie, and also it’s flavor is not like anything. Also, it provides real richness to your baked things and delicious flavor.
Cinnamon is an important part of this recipe. It’s a good and authentic ingredient spice that adds flavor to your squash and really tastes like apple pie.
Nutmeg, Allspice, Ginger:
These all spices are a great addition to the recipe. They are added to the authenticity of the apple pie flavor.
Xanthan gum acts as a thickening agent and flour or cornstarch to thicken the pie filling. But this without all carb that other typical thickeners add to your pie. It’s a must ingredient.
Since you don’t eat apples that normally have a tart to them, squash does not have any tartness. Therefore, add lemons. Lemon juice makes your pie tat really you are eating apples, so it’s a must to add it in if you want to make this low carb apple pie recipe out good.
What in the Apple Pie Crust?
Everyone knows that you can’t use regular flour in your recipes when you are following a low-carb diet. It might take some creativity to confirm your favorite recipe on low carb recipes. It’s crucial to check if you are on a special diet and can’t eat the food you used to eat.
The biggest difference between the low-carb pie crust is choosing the type of flour. As the substitute for regular flour, use almond flour, coconut flour, or any other nut flour you have. In this apple pie crust, we are going to use almond flour.
Maybe you are used to using regular flour to make the crust, and almond flour doesn’t handle the same way. But also some ways help to keep the apple pie crust together.
And that’s the Xanthan Gum. Its little amount goes a long way to help with the crust so that maybe it doesn’t fall apart easily: mixed cream cheese and cold butter help to hold the crust together and make it a little flakier.
How Many Carbs in It?
When you cut your keto apple pie in 12 slices that each slice contains 8 grams of carbs, and, to make dessert, this amount is really good. One piece of pie just tastes like Apple Pie without all carbs, which real apple pie has.
How to Make Keto Apple Pie
Here is the complete recipe to make this delicious keto-friendly apple pie. So Lt’s start:
|Ingredients for Pie Crust||Quantity||Ingredients for Filling||Quantity|
|Almond flour||1 1/3 cup||Yellow squash||6 cups|
|Xanthan gum||½ tbsp||Golden monk fruit||1 cup|
|Salt||½ tbsp||Lemon juice||1 cup|
|Cold butter||6 tbsp||Xanthan gum||½ tbsp|
|Egg lightly beaten||1||Salt||½ tbsp|
|Cream cheese||¼ cup||Cinnamon||2 tbsp|
- In the first step, prepare the crust. Mix all the ingredients together by using a food processor. But don’t over mix them.
- After that, wrap the crust in a plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
- Repeat this step for the top crust.
- While the dough is chilling, we can prepare the filling.
- Peel the squash and cut into the small pieces the same as you cut the apples.
- Then lightly brown the butter and add the apples and sauté until they are well blended.
- Let it cool, so it doesn’t make your pie crust soggy or fall apart.
- Let the filling cool while you can roll the dough to make the crust.
- Put the dough in two parchment paper pieces, sprinkle some almond flour on it, so it doesn’t stick with the papers.
- Then take a rolling pin and roll out the dough as you desired to make its thickness an size. Start rolling from the center.
- After then roll the top crust in the same way you roll the bottom crust.
- Next step, cut the strips in 1-2 inch size and begin to weave them to prepare the lattice design. Don’t worry if they break down. Just piece them together.
- Put an egg into the bowl and beat it by using a fork.
- Brush your top pie with that beaten egg wash for a shiny top.
- Then bake the pie at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until it was golden.
- In the halfway through the baking, put a guard around the crust, so your crust doesn’t be burned.